the aftermath

I have been having this lingering headache, but today was better...for me, anyways. I have work...and now, even more of it. The 4 empty desks across the hall from me confirmed that yesterday was real. I called my best girlfriend in northern VA last night. I told her what happened and listed those, who she had either heard of or met, that were let go. She said, "I bet you're not that sad to see Jesse leave." I can say that when I cried yesterday, it was a mixture of anger, relief, shock, confusion, and sadness. None of it was Jesse. But that's not to say that I didn't feel bad for him. He's a single father with full custody of his kid so my heart still went out to him.

As I watched him pack his things, I debated on whether or not I should say something. Although it has been hard to look at a man that has hurt me in the past almost everyday, I had to learn to separate my personal feelings from business. Eventually, I got enough nerve to walk over to him and extend my hand. He grabbed it, leaned in, and embraced me. Surprisingly, I wasn't uncomfortable. It was almost as if everything that has been left unsaid was expressed at that moment. He whispered, "I need you to hold down the fort over here." Maybe that was code. Regardless, I was mute. I grinned and walked away. That was business.

My other partings were more sentimental. I now own 2 more plants from the guy that I used to do lunch Bi.ble Study with and Goth Girl's hard hat with the "Ni.ne In.ch Nails" logo on the back. I texted her all day today and I was still cracking on her as if she were standing by my desk. My boy (the one with the non-working wife and 2 kids), on the other hand, probably needs a little more time. I texted him and within his first response he said that his home phone got cut off. I'm thinking...you JUST got laid off yesterday. That kinda tells me where he stands financially, but I guess that I knew that already.

So while answering random email inquiries from people that saw my inability to control my emotions yesterday, I look up to see my supervisor staring back at me. He motions with his finger to follow him. At this point, I'm trying to not even think a cuss word b/c I know that it'll only be a matter of time before it slips out. As we're walking he says, "This is not bad at all. It's actually good, so this walk doesn't have to be that long." He then asked me if I was feeling better. I said that I was. When we arrive at his office, he pulls out this letter. I can no longer hear him talking b/c I'm staring at the number that is my bonus! Insert heart back into chest.

Lord knows that I am grateful to have my job. They could've kept my bonus, but uh, I grabbed that letter and ran off like I stole something. So here's what I've been thinking...

I got a little change. Should I:

a. Put it towards my credit card debt? I only use one cc and this money would pay up to 85% of it off.
b. Put it in my savings account? The only problem that I have with this is that the interest rate on my savings account is not as high as it is on my cc.
c. Divvy it up? Put some towards my cc and the remainder towards my savings.
d. Invest in stock while its cheap? I have a couple of mutual funds and my 401K, but I know nothing about investing in stocks. I've been trying to read up on it but don't feel secure about making good decisions.
e. Buy that flat screen tv that I want for my bedroom and blow the rest on stuff that my kid won't play with in a month?

OK, so obviously (e) is not really an option and never really my style. I do want that tv but I don't need it. And the kid is already programmed to know that PawPaw is in charge of spoilage. But out of the other 4...and this is to anyone who cares to respond...what would you recommend?

7 comments:

clnmike said...

C- Divvy.

I dont trust that job, and paying your debt means they will give you more moeny which you can use to get the TV anyway.

Serenity3-0 said...

I like the idea of diving up, but I also like the idea of you holding it in your savings. You were already paying the cc monthly anyway, you can just keep doing that. Congrats on the windfall!

Anonymous said...

I think that it would be a nice thing to have less money to pay to your credit card every month. It can free up more money on a monthly basis for other things from now on, like maybe saving for stocks while you learn more about investing, or saving for that cool TV you want.

Anonymous said...

You definitely should divvy it up. I would put 50% towards the cc, and divide the rest between savings and mutual funds.

Anonymous said...

Option C -divvy

You need to have a good saving cushion in case things take a turn for the worse. It's not just the economy, we could all be derailed by an unexpected illness or other such event. You need at least 3 months of living expenses saved and should really aim for 6+.

Regarding your CC, create a plan to pay that down too. You can try to cut out some of the extras to "find" money. Saving money and reducing debt can be done at the same time, it's all about having a plan.

-Crystal

Anonymous said...

I will invest in savings account interest
Thanks for usefull information

chele said...

Pay down the debt.
Pay down the debt.
Pay down the debt.