candy wrap-up

Well, the question of the weekend was…are you going to be Prince again this year? I toyed with the idea but my hair is only long enough for me to be the “Under the Cherry Moon” Prince…or maybe even the symbol, the “Sexy Mu**a***a” Prince. J suggested that I be Michael Jackson and that’s when I put a stop to all the "pretty men" costume suggestions. I heart some pretty men and I'm elated that last year's costume was such a hit, but maybe I should use Halloween to release my inner sl*t and be the $exy cop, the $exy firewoman, or the $exy FEMA representative like my younger, attention-seeking sistas with cassava melons for breasts do.

Anyway, J had a Halloween party on Friday night. They had a strobe light or something going and I thought that I was about to have an epileptic seizure. Of course, he was having a ball; whereas, watching a bunch of kids hyped up on sugar highs is not my idea of a great time. But I was cool until J’s friend’s 19 y/o brother asked me if he and I went to school together. I realize that the last time that he saw me, my hair was longer and, that night, I was wearing my glasses but dang! I don’t look THAT young. That’s not even flattering.

We volunteered with the cub scouts for a couple of hours in the drizzle on Saturday morning for a food drive, which was cool. That afternoon, I signed J up for basketball. He wants to play, but he was concerned that it would interfere with cub scouts. The coach told me how much it was going to cost and I ‘bout clutched the pearls and swooned. Forget cub scouts, it’s interfering with my pockets. But this is what I figure…if he expresses interest now, then I’ll support it (to the best of my financial ability) and see if he likes it. Maybe by middle/high school, he will have dwindled down to one activity…or none. But at least, he will have tried it and perhaps have found something that he enjoys. My dad referees high school football, J’s dad played basketball, J is in love with baseball, and I’m for whatever makes J happy that prayerfully, causes the least amount of broken bones. If that means that he just becomes ones of those artsy-fartsy kids that could care less about sports, then so be it. I may even prefer it. But something tells me that baseball may be the keeper.

We went trick-or-treating in my neighbor-woods that night for a couple of hours and that was fun. I never went trick-or-treating as a kid. I remember being Wonder Woman, Strawberry Shortcake and a witch on several occasions but I usually gave out candy. J was Anakin Skywalker, AGAIN. I’m not complaining b/c that’s less money that I had to spend. I can’t even count how many light sabers this child has and he swears that they all mean and do something different. Sure. My dad mailed him a Darth Vader costume and a load of candy, so he was getting his pre-game on for an hour before we left the house. When we were walking down the driveway, we ran into his friends and their parents coming up from the cul-de-sac. Why was this woman looking like Groucho Marx, talking about being dressed as Humpty from Digi.tal Undergr.ound??? Um, yeeeeaaaaah.

So we all walked together…Anakin, 2 skeletons, a ladybug, 2 princesses, and a regular lil dude. Those kids were funny. All the kids would crowd a porch and just stare at the people with their bags open. I’m busy hollering “trick or treat” and “thank you” from the street. Yet, they still made out like fat rats. I’m not big on candy, but I raided J’s bag and relieved him of all the Snickers, Twixs, and Twizzlers. I’m just being the good mother by protecting his little teeth.

Afterwards, J wanted to watch Monster House, in the spirit of Halloween. So we curled up on the couch, only for lil man to start slobbering on my foot 30 minutes into the movie. I have avoided watching this movie several times, but for some reason, I got caught up in it and saw it to the end. Not bad.

I loved spending time with J as I always do. With that said, I want to thank everyone that either responded on or offline to my last post. I don’t necessarily need “me” time as much as I wanted my own project/hobby. I get more than enough “me” time during the summers when J is visiting his PawPaw. Well, it dawned on me that I hadn’t done any home improvement projects in a grip. I know that this is partially b/c of the state of the housing market and I wasn’t about to throw any more money than I already had into my house, especially since I have already dropped a kidney on my front yard. The other reason is b/c I had my heart set on moving back home and had emotionally separated myself from my house and just didn’t see the point in buying so much as a new lamp for it. But now, I’m thinking that I will either do that backsplash in my kitchen with some really colorful tile or do a painting project in my bathroom…something relatively inexpensive that taps into my artistic side, just enough to get my mojo going. I have my eye on some beaded curtains for my loft and some new floor rugs and prints to freshen up the house a bit. I’m sure that just one new thing will lift my spirits...and those that surround the house.

2 comments:

clnmike said...

A good weekend.

kisz4tj said...

LOL @ "looking like Groucho Marx, talking about being dressed as Humpty from Digi.tal Undergr.ound??? Um, yeeeeaaaaah."

I love home projects..not manual labor but getting ideas and bringing them to life. I would love to do a few more things to my apartment, but I'm going to be there less than 2 yrs and I'm thinking it's probably not worth it.