hoe to housewife

I have a day off this Friday, and will probably dip out at noon on Thursday. With the upcoming move, we are dismissed once we pack up b/c we can't do anything without computers. Well, I thought that I'd rest up but Tee is coming over, so that we can get a little drunk and then sober up before its time to pick up our kids...as if we're 12 y/o or something. But our motto is, "...it's Friday, it's our day off and we ain't got sh*t to do." So maybe that's the pre-party before I pillage the streets of DC with Navy, celebrating his 30th on Saturday AND Sunday.

With that said, I was SUPPOSED to be in chill mode this past weekend. So I thought. Me and my girls at the J.O.B. took a sewing class on Saturday. It was so fun...but then again, we were drinking wine while operating machinery, so it was possibly dangerous..lol. No, I didn't learn how to sew a dress yet. We took this class at a cute little fabric store in the city. The lady that owned the shop was all tatted up, which kinda distracted me, as she was going over the different parts of the sewing machine and other technical terms. I've been throwing around the idea of getting another tattoo and I wanted to know who her artist was...but I was there to learn. For our first project, we made little pin cushions. Mine was the best...and that's my UNBIASED opinion. I was so proud of it and I can't wait to learn more b/c I'm gonna do those bistro awnings in my kitchen before I move, dammit! The lady is offering an alterations class, so I may hit that one up too. We'll see how long I keep up this hobby. Sometimes, I can be as unfocused as the pic of me on the bottom right corner of my blog.

I picked J up from my cuz's house, ran a few errands, and then came home to the greatest surprise EVER. Well, THIS MONTH. My yard guy aerated and seeded my lawn! Awww shux nah...ya girl is in bizness! My yard no longer looks like "hot garbage."


I think that I have just entered the "lukewarm debris" bracket.


So, I got the brilliant idea to finally finish one of the projects that I listed in May or June...I decided that since the rest of the yard was creepin' on the comeup, I might as well do that mini-garden around my mailbox.


I was excited. Tee had bought me a sun hat that I was ready to don JUST for this type of project. I THOUGHT that it would only take me a morning. I both underestimated this project and overestimated myself. This mess took me ALL DAY and I had to finish it up after work this evening. When I was done, I was all bit up, scratched up, and my back is jacked up. There was not ONE muscle that DIDN'T ache today. And if I were going to walk around, all hunched over, and bo-legged looking, at least I could answer a "What happened to you?" with a "I was rescuing some kittens from a burning car" or "I showed some runaway slaves the underground railroad" or something!

There HAD TO BE 20 years worth of weeds by that mailbox. Leezie had to blindly identify that I was digging up onions b/c I couldn't figure out what these mysterious radish-looking things were. J said that they looked like radishes and, at that point, I was so weary that I went along with everything that he said. I found a Costa Ric.an coin and half of a mailbox post that the previous owner was too lazy to pull all the way out of the ground before they installed the new one. I had to demo the semi-circular border b/c it was crooked and halfway covered with weeds...and plus, I just didn't care for it. That took forever and a day b/c I had been banging away at those things with my hammer just to get them to loosen up.


I decided to re-purpose some river rock that I had lined up along my sidewalk at the top of my driveway...which meant that I had to walk those things down my driveway, one by one b/c those bammas were heavy! J helped me dig and clean up when he took a break from throwing the football around. His major concern was the comfort of the worms and other creatures since I kept digging them up. I let him have that gripe since I don't think that he has forgiven me for having those trees cut down, destroying the homes of the birds and squirrels.

Anyways, my neighbors were really helpful. The older couple across the street let me borrow their tools and the wife, who has the same name as my momma, brought me some water. The older guy next door just seemed to be amazed at how I have transformed the front yard over the past 6 months...apparently, the previous owners didn't mind the "hot garbage" curb appeal. This one guy that was walking his dog, just wanted to know what all I had done recently and was pretty impressed with the progress. So although, it's not where I want it to be, it's better than it used to be. And here it is:

I saw these mums and loved the fall colors and the leaves of the plants have orange and red hues to them.



REPRESENT, BABY, BABY!!! I've had this flag for over a year and I have been dying to put it out there!



I plan to update it with different seasonal perennials so that I can have blooms at almost all times of the year. My cuz said, "So you're sewing and gardening...are you alright?" I just laughed. She seems to think that once I get married that I won't be doing all of that. I thought that that was a weird statement. Afterall, I'm hoe-ing, not ho-ing. I guess that I better get it outta my system now, before I'm forced to be a one hobby woman...lol.

5 comments:

LadyLee said...

Uh... uh-rah, I'ma need you to come hook up my mailbox area. You can brang a doggone New Orl.eans flag if you want to.

Really though.

Serenity3-0 said...

It looks really nice. There is a big difference b/t the old yard and what the yard looks like now. You're just increasing your home value. And I love the flag. I've been wondering where I can get an LSU flag to post out in my yard.. And I take it your cousin doesn't have any hobbies outside of the baby...

Closed Account said...

Nice. Keep up the good hard work..

chele said...

I'm proud of you. I attempted something similar in my front yard but after a few hours I gave up. I have to leave it for the professionals.

Anonymous said...

Dang this looks great!