lift the n.o. up

My dad stopped being foolish and evacuated with my stepmom and stepsister to Frank.linton, an hour and a half north of New. Or.leans at the toe-end of the LA boot. I have no idea why he left his truck in his driveway, but whatever, he is out of the bowl and can minister to whoever he wants on higher ground. Although I hate that he went to Frank.linton, I'm glad that he left. Aside from my stepsister, I seem to be the only other daughter of his that cares. My half-sisters in Bat.on Rou.ge have probably had (max) 3 convos with him since Ka.trina. My thing is, I know that he was not the greatest father in the world and we've had a rocky to almost non-existant relationship growing up, but sometimes you just have to let that sh*t go and move on. In my case (and I believe in theirs also), he has made a sincere effort to repair the rifts and I am a firm believer in meeting people where they are.

At any rate, I have been calling him like a crackhead since he left, b/c if everything goes as I suspect, I know that it will only be a matter of time before I'm able to reach him by cell at all. 504 numbers are already having issues b/c I think that everyone is trying to account for all of their family and friends. I got busy signals while trying to call 4 people from back home last night. Heck, I called MYSELF from my 804 home phone and got a busy signal. So fair warning, if anyone tries to contact my cell (b/c I plan to be 504 for life, lol) it might act a donkey for the next few days or so. But the numbers are in: I have partnahs in Frank.linton, Alex.andria, Bat.on Rouge, Atlanta and Jackson.

Just when I was contemplating moving back home, Gus.tav reminded me of what I don't miss. Whether or not a hurricane actually hits, the 2 to 3 day evacuations are for the birds. And you're highly pi$$ed if the hurricane didn't roll through as hard as it was claimed b/c you just spent money for nothing. I understand that you're being cautious but tell that to someone who doesn't have the resources or options for caution. I have always been blessed to have somewhere to go and money for gas, but there are MANY who are not as fortunate. Ka.trina was a wake up call, b/c IMO, everyone in the city was sleeping. EVERYONE IN THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT WAS SLEEPING!

Most of the time while growing up and ESPECIALLY as a college student, riding out a storm was the norm. I can remember a time when almost everyone that I knew had evacuated, but I stayed home with my momma. We were in the house, watching Life.time movie heroines and small trees in the backyard getting the breaks beat off 'em simultaneously. Not a drop of water came through the door while we were having our own private hurricane party. Everyone else that left had one issue or another, from loss of power to minor flood. Thinking back, that still wasn't necessarily the smartest decision...maybe we were too silly to panic or maybe God DOES take care of fools and babies. But after I had J, my mindset changed. He was my most precious cargo during Ka.trina and although being in Frank.linton sucked, we were STILL blessed, all things considered.

With that said, everyone in LA and the surrounding areas are in my prayers. I hope that ya'll are somewhere safe and comfortable.

Lift the N.O. up.

- 9th ward native

1 comments:

miss jo ladie said...

i'm so glad he got up outta there! please keep us posted.

they are all in my prayers.