the big chill

My company has been in the process of moving for about as long as I have worked there and then some. One of the reasons why I changed jobs (almost 2 years ago) was to be closer to my baby. This company was within my county limits. Now, they have booted ya girl's butt to the city...which hasn't been so bad being close to Broad Street. My tolls and gas have increased, but the commute hasn't been as bad as expected.

A few weeks back, I had deadlines fired at me like missiles and I was operating on a serious sleep deficiency and a need to decompress. But talk about sunshine after the rain! Last Thursday, I packed up my station by noon and joined a group for sweet and sour chicken and zombies, as we celebrated a half day off. Now ever since my birthday, I have taken an oath to not exceed my alcohol limits, so the highest that I will ever get can only be attributed to the sugar in my meal.

The company then gave us Friday off as our crates and boxes were moved to the new location. A normal person would say, "That's cool...I'll take this time to clean up, do some laundry, dust off my books and read." Especially sans kid...I could've danced naked in my living room all day. But instead, me and Tee...well, I already detailed what we did.

So, we were supposed to be all moved in by Monday. We walk in, only to find that we were to be working alongside construction workers. But the new location is hot...truly reps what an architectural firm is s'posed to look like. Yet sometimes, I worked in the dark as they were putting the finishing touches to the building. Other times, I found that my music did not drown out the incessant drilling and gave up on working altogether. I still don't have a phone. And the HVAC people haven't quite mastered the art of air conditioning the space. But again, that's all ok. The company supplied us with a catered meal and free milkshakes. And let me tell ya, those milkshakes brought all the boys and girls to the yard. I thought that the...ahem...gentlemen's club next door would've provided us all with free lap dances, since all the other new neighbors have been so nice. No dice. We were surprised with welcome bags with a binder stocked with nearby restaurant menus, a water jug and a pill bottle full of M&Ms as a prescription for the associated stress. I have been feeling like a little kid for the past few days...riding on my stomach as my boy pushed my crate through the corridors, skipping around from desk to desk, socializing and emailing excessively during work hours.

And as if things could not get any better, they tell us not to come in tomorrow b/c we have to pass some inspections before we're allowed to actually "work". Go figure. Granted, I have another deadline at noon, but I hope to knock that out tonight. Now, a normal person would say, "Hey, I got this extra day off. I might do some laundry, clean up, dust off my books and read...maybe even dance naked in my living room." Nah. Me and some peeps are having a movie marathon and the only dude (who's a young cutie) allowed to come is designated to serve us up some of his buffalo chicken pizza and some spirits. That's what he gets for bragging about how well he can cook. And guess what movie I'm bringing? Coming To America! Yes, life is good. Lol.

Talk about decompression...I may never get back in the work mode!

0 comments: