counting pennies for my thoughts

My watch tells me that I'm supposed to be a quarter past "worried". The news tells me that I should be panicking...in fact, every article that I have read on the internet has managed to sneak in the words "fear" and "crisis." But for some reason, I'm just not...moved. And at the looks of things, I probably should be.

The mutual fund for my baby's education has been on a steady decline...so has my other fund, which at this point, does not have as important of a purpose. I have been dipping into my savings account a lot recently to cover medical bills and "curb appeal" expenses. My 401K has been doing the sinusoidal wave thing and my house is in negative equity. On paper...and even after re-reading this paragraph...I should be rocking the hard, furrowed eyebrow. But in my mind, I'm covered. And this is not b/c I have money to spare. I just have faith.

The "right now" is not the issue. At least, not for me. It is my understanding that the market is cyclic. And albeit I'm "losing" money, I'm still taking advantage of the low costs and acquiring more shares. I'm no financial wizard, but I believe that this should prove profitable within the big picture...well before it is time to consider retirement. My baby has 11 more years before he graduates so that just means that I have enough time to stack some cash. Besides, I'm believing on a scholarship for him, so his money can go towards other non-pressing things. As far as my house is concerned, I have decided to table some of the more expensive home improvement projects that I had in mind. A house is an investment, but I bought a place that I love. In the meantime, (while I wait for the housing market to rebound) I will just enjoy being here. This is the perfect place for a homebody at heart.

Aside from that, I'm still banking on a sizable bonus, a generous raise, and a jaw-dropping tax return. Maybe I have been reading too many of those "I believe I can have it" books. But as for the "right now", the only things that I'm counting are my blessings.

1 comments:

Bananas said...

Well, I’m no economist and I certainly would listen to me if I were...me.

If you look at it, many of the things that led to the crash of 1929 are pretty much in step with what’s happening now.

And for the record, y’all can thank the Republicans for this with their stupid idea of “Deregulation”.

I wanted to say “fucked up idea of deregulation” but I didn’t want to cuss on your blog LB.

Anyway, regulations were put in to place right after the crash of ‘29 to keep this very thing from happening. But, from Reagan to Bush, the Republicans were smarter than everyone else, so regulations went bye, bye.

Ironic huh? NOW they want to regulate stuff.

There is however a difference between 1929 and now. Now, foreign money is heavily invested in the United States, so no one wants to see the economy fail. And like all things, we have been in these economic binds before, maybe not as bad, but pretty close. Most of y’all are too young to remember them.

Generally, Economist agree that hard times will continue, probably get worse, be we will rebound. You just have to keep your head above water before then. And you can do it.

I mean after all, it’s not like you’re trying getting an elephant in a coke bottle – yet.