love jones

So now that I have all this free time on my hands, I guess that I no longer have an excuse to NOT blog, aside from not having anything of substance to say. But I think that I can hold it down, at least, for all of this week.

My weekend was pretty decent. Tee came over with wine and crab rangoons on Saturday...the funny thing is, I ended up counselling her on HER problems and I think that was her goal from the beginning. Foolish me thought that she was trying to make me feel better, but its all good, I needed the break from myself I guess. On Sunday, one of Kat's boys, Mid.night, called me and we joked about them having a Tommy (Maaaaannnnn, you ain't GOT no job) Party. What can I say? It was Sunday, my day off, and I didn't have 'ish to do, LOL. So, I met up with them and we had dinner and played cards. My spades partner had also been laid off, but I sure hope that he steps his game up during his "vacation" b/c I was questioning if running in the rain was worth watching 8's and 9's of diamonds "walk" all night.

Anyway, putting this job/no job hoopla aside for a moment, I'd like to FINALLY talk about my trip back home...or at least, parts of it. So, I knew that my schedule would be tight b/c I had a lot of things that I wanted to do and people to see, but not enough time to do it all. But there is one friend of mine that I will make sure that I holla at...even if I'm only in town for 15 minutes, I will spend 2 of them with him.

Background

I've called him by a different name on blog before, but for the sake of what I'm about to admit (b/c I don't know who's reading), I will refer to him as Darius. So, Darius and I used to go to school together. At that time, a few of my friends had a crush on him, but I didn't like him. Although I didn't know him too well, I could sense his arrogance a mile away. We ended up at the same college and became cool. I was often found at the table where Darius would hold court and where many football players gambled their scholarships away. And then I graduated.

Many years later (post my failed engagement and that whole baby thang), we met again. I don't remember where (maybe the cornerstore) but it was kinda easy for us to run into each other since we lived pretty close. Not sure if it had to do with him or with the fact that I was going through some thangs, but I looked at him lustfully differently. We exchanged numbers and made plans for him to come over that night.

And well...that night was one of a string of times that we...uh..."caught up". He is the only guy that I can...uh..."catch up" with and not FEEL caught up...if you get what I mean.

That eventually ended and then something unheard of happened...we became really good friends afterwards. He is well into the spoken word circuit, so whenever I visit home, I make it my business to peep his latest project.

So once when I visited, he told me that he would do something special for me but I had to check him out at the spot he was frequenting at the time. I went there with my girls (who knew about Darius and I's past, but were just as clueless as I was about the surprise). We listened to a lot of people that night (and honestly, I was about to fall asleep b/c I can be somewhat narcoleptic), but when the host called Darius to the stage, our collective ears perked up.

You know how these "deep" people do it...they can recite "Old McDonald had a farm..." as long as its complete with pregnant pauses and hand motions signifying that what they're saying is the TRUTH! But when Darius started speaking, he held my attention from word one. Why? His poem was extremely explicit and very much about the first night that we spent together. He described everything from walking to my house to uh...running up in "it". So while I was busy being embarrassed as all hell, my girl whispers,

"Say bruh, I really didn't need to know this much about you and I'm 'bout ready to walk out!"

I.was.speechless.

He walks off the stage to MUCH applause, b/c methinks that there was many a pervert in the room...not to mention, the women that were ready to get their stroke on when I was two heartbeats away from strokin' out.

"So....what did you think? Did you like my surprise?"

Now

After a long day at Jazz Fest, getting just as bronzed as I want to be, I was TIRED! I hadn't slept the night before b/c I was afraid that I was going to miss my flight and didn't get a nap between leaving the airport and heading to the fairgrounds to hear Erykah and Rebi.rth. However, I was still determined to catch Darius at his latest spot.

Me and my girl walked in. We listened to a few artists, but it wasn't long before Darius was front and center.

"OK, I have to pause for a moment b/c my peoples are here! I'd like to introduce my best female friend since high school, *****. Say hello to the people, *****. And another friend of mine from high school, *******. And then you have the LOVELY LB! "

OK, so I had a girly moment. In the midst of that heart-fluttering crap, the first chick that he introduced came up and hugged me. And just as I was about to start a convo with her, I hear Darius shout...

"LB, since YOU'RE in the spot tonight, I want you to pick any one of my works and I'll perform it right here, right now..."

To be continued...

6 comments:

Serenity3-0 said...

Oh Goodness! I'm assuming you picked THAT piece. And why in the hell are you following Leezie with these "to be continued" moments? And uh, is this the same friend who took you to get a snowball?

LB said...

B/C like Leezie, I thought that this blog was becoming a bit LOOONNNG! And, yes.

Pam said...

Can't wait for the rest.

Glad to read that you are staying positive.

SHA said...

Tease!!!!! Quit playin' and give up the rest.

chele said...

Daggone cliffhangers ...

LadyLee said...

a "too be continued"!!!

I loved-ed it!!!!