one thing that I can't afford...

...is to be afraid of a diagnosis. I have been monitoring the skin around my ankles for about a month now. At first, I thought that the bruising (that looked similar to vericose veins or cyanosis) was related to some shoes that I may have worn. But I have noticed that instead of going away, they were getting progressively darker. There was no swelling or itching but I began to notice that my left leg and left pinky toe would go numb or hurt occasionally. So after some research, I thought that this may be the result of a circulation issue. What concerns me the most about that are the diseases that cause circulation issues and what circulation issues can cause. And I'd rather pay a copay to be told that I'm crazy than to wait and potentially have to spend more financially and emotionally while battling an ailment.

Upon looking at my ankles, the doctor confirmed my diagnosis. However, b/c of my age and weight, he didn't seem too alarmed. As it stands, I have to go back and have some blood work done this week, his main concern being my family history of heart disease and high blood pressure. In the meantime, he told me that I need to get on an exercise regimen that would help to improve the circulation in my legs. Right now, I'm just determined to be healthy. So after I stopped by one of my fave restaurants (creme brulee always makes me feel better about a situation...and I just KNOW that he's about to attack my diet next), I came home, dusted off my sneakers and took my soles to the hills and valleys that surround my neighborhood. My calves felt as if they were on fire. But that's just a minor battle wound. For everything, my motivation is my kid. But in this case, I'm gonna have to be a SERIOUS warrior with mine b/c this doc has already made it clear that he is about to be in my a$$!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And so are WE so get on it missy! Hmmm...would cycling be one of those exercises. I know I enjoy cycling A LOT. Check it out.

Take care of you!

LadyLee said...

Glad you went to the doctor, girl. I thought it was some type of circulation issue!