delirious

"Work smarter not harder..." is one of the core values of my company. The fact that it resides in the bottom half of that list should have possibly been an indicator of its level of importance...or better yet, truth. I believe that I have reached the point of delirium now. I can probably count how many hours of sleep, in the past few days, that I've gotten on one hand. I decided to work from home today and am blogging while on a Cheer.io break. Which is a good thing b/c I have peace and quiet...aside from the sounds of HGTV downstairs. Plus, I've been having dizzy spells (presumably b/c of these new pills) and for some reason, I think that its best to pass out by myself than to pass out and be embarrassed.

I remember being so bored at my last job that I spent more time visiting coworkers, playing on the internet or emailing than I did doing work. Now, if the company didn't already block the websites, I couldn't blog and comment throughout the day even if I wanted to.

Maybe 6 months after I was hired, the director of my department hired some hot shot guy with tons of both hands on and design experience. My boss was really pumping this guy up, to the point where I was anxious to see this dude walk on water on his first day. Well, its been over a year later and not only does this guy not walk on water, I feel as if he's the reason our boat is sinking.

My department had a mtg the week before last, during which this guy said that he needed help on his project. Little did we know, he needed us to DO his project. He came in with this bullsh*t list of 5 bullet points, but when I looked at the state of his drawings, I knew that this project would not be complete by the deadline. First thing, he is terribly unorganized and for me, organization is half the battle. An incomplete, yet organized project will get a pass before an incomplete project that looks as if the designer has ADD. We had to have another mtg just to discuss which direction this dude was going. During this same mtg, I volunteered to handle a specific portion of the project but I also had other projects on my plate with fast-approaching deadlines and overly anxious architects. I told him and anyone else that cared to know that I wouldn't get to it until last Tuesday (I probably could've said it nicer). In the meantime, I expected (and said so in this meeting) that certain plans be done by him and ready for me by the time that I get to them (I guess that I'm assuming a managerial role early).

Well, today is the due date. Those plans that I needed him to finish were done....hmmm, sometime in the middle of the night last night. Not that I had a whole lot of choice in the matter, but one reason that I wanted to help was b/c if I were in trouble, I would want someone to help me. Another reason is b/c incomplete work affects the whole company and I have this number in mind for my bonus this year. But you know what my attitude is at this point? Fugg it. Everyone else in our department (excluding my boss, I guess) has adopted that same attitude. This is the second time that I've had to work with this dude and this is the second time that he has cost me a whole weekend. I've had to work overtime many times but his inability to get the molasses out of his a$$ reaches well beyond that and disrupts my sleep.

Woo-sah.

So now I'm just doing some clean-up work. I shot him an email and said that I am quitting at a certain time and that I have limited availability this week b/c I need to finish up some items on MY projects before I go back home to the N.O. Translation: Don't ask me to do sh*t! Part of me HOPES that that's a problem for him...enough so, that he'll start whining to my boss. THEN I will have the license to get some serious stuff off of my chest before I leave town. It has been so hard to attempt to check my attitude at the door...all I really want now is for someone to open it.

Anyways...

As blessed as I am to have it, this job will not be the death of me. I'm just taking notes at this point, b/c when it comes time for my annual review, I plan to tell my boss exactly how I feel about both the written and implied company core values.

0 comments: