curly girl wonder diaries - winter edition

I have been slacking on my hair updates. Sometime last week I hit the 7 month mark, but I was too cold to celebrate. With that said, I have spent most of this month in protective styles, namely twists. It's a shame when the weather warms up to the 40s and you almost feel as if it's spring. The arctic blast terrorizing the east coast (heck, everywhere) is no joke...and none too kind on the hair and skin. I pray that we remain in these warmer temps for the long haul. Anyway...


My only hair resolution for 2010 was to keep it healthy. I took a picture of my hair on January 1st (ignore the hair clips and pre-poppage of my robe collar). This was 8-day hair! I kept my hair in twists for a week and then unleashed the curls on Christmas day. I was determined to make them stretch until New Year's. Success! It is my goal is to keep my hands out of my hair for as long as I can stand it....especially since I have been running through my coconut oil while trying to combat the cold air.

Twists and twist-outs have become my staple style.




And when all else fails...


Le puff!


I prefer to wear the "Dr. Spock" ones (above). Those twists were done on (dripping) wet hair. They take a lot longer to do, but I prefer to wear those in public over the ones done on dry hair (below). I think that the dry ones make me look like a little girl, but it is obvious just how real shrinkage is. I plan to make some hair jewels to jazz it up a bit. But for right now, I will sport some cute hats with a twist or 2 exposed to the world. Pics to come.

The dry twists DO yield a bigger look.

I will be doing coils once again soon to protect my hair during these harsh winter months.

I use the same products: Giovanni 50/50 shampoo, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, Vatika Oil, Coconut Oil, etc. However, I am in need of a good deep conditioner. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

This Month's Mythbuster

I had a conversaton with a coworker (caucasian), who has curly hair. I noticed that she recently started straightening it almost every other day. She said that she thought that straight hair was more professional. This was interesting considering how she's the only associate in our department...a position that she secured while curly. Natural hair is professional hair...but much like any other texture, it is all in the way that it is groomed.

Comment of the Month

While having dinner with my VA mom on Christmas day, I kept getting compliments on my curls. My dad shouts out (as if he has turrets), "I don't like short hair"...as he continues to stuff some greens in his mouth. Although his wife is natural and maintains a fade, he continuously slings these little snide remarks my way...including an insinuation that I would be a search target boarding a plane simply b/c I wear my hair in twists. This time, my response: "Well I, for one, think that's just great." Had there not been other people at the table, my response WOULD'VE been: "Nobody asked you for your raggedy-ass opinion. Thanks." Give me 10 points (at least) for keeping my cool and acting like I had home-training.

Still growing (in more ways than one),

Curly Girl Wonder aka LB

7 comments:

Serenity3-0 said...

I love the new template. I was actually coming over to ask you where the hell the hair updates were. Good thing I didn't have to say anything:) I'm so glad you gave the twists a try. I know you said you prefer the wet ones, but I like the look of the dry twistout on you. And I think the puff is my favorite. I'm guessing you aren't a headband person. But I'm getting tired of my boring twistout and was thinking I was going to go shopping for some long silk scarves to dress it up a bit. As far as a Deep Condition. After I went to that presentation at macy's by Carol's Daughter, I started using the Black Vanilla Hair Smoothie along with some Lisa's Hair Elixir Oil to DC probably twice per month. They showed us how to apply the hair smoothie on our dry hair and work it through like you would do a perm and then put the hair elixir on it and let it sit for a while with a plastic cap. I swear my roots are WAY more manageable than they were before. I also use an Olive Oil brand (green jar) deep conditioner and rotate that with hair mayonnaise. I DC once per week alternating b/t the two and sometimes I do the Carol's Daughter stuff. But my hair seems to love it.

LB said...

Thanks! I prefer the dry twist-out too. If there's any way that I can achieve that without looking crazy with those dry twists, I'm all for it. I like keeping my hair in twists as long as possible.

I've bought several headbands, but everytime I put them on, it makes my head look bigger. I know, it's mental. I have a red scarf that I love wearing but I need to vary it up. Target had some nice head gear to check out.

If the Carol's Daughter line isn't too expensive then I'll try it. That other stuff sounds like something I can get at Sally's, I assume.

chele said...

"Nobody asked you for your raggedy-ass opinion. Thanks."

If I had a dollar for everytime I wanted to say that to my father ...

Your hair looks great!

kisz4tj said...

I love your hair. I think it looks great. I too like the dry twists better. Your Dad is a mess! lol

I like how thangs are lookin' round here :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your hair. Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner is a great deep conditioner for about 6.99.
Have a blessed day,

Stacie

Courtney said...

Its post like this that make me want to BC...I'm over you and Serenity!

Love the hair...maybe my twist out looked such a mess because i did it while it was wet.

LB said...

Thanks Chele, Kelly, Stacie, & Courtney!

@ Courtney - twists on wet hair is fine...I prefer those. But twist-outs while hair is still wet will yield a hot mess, yes. I just KNEW that you had BC'ed...