curly girl wonder diaries - this week in hair

So, the weather has been kind lately...and then I hear word that we may have more snow over the weekend.

J's response: "YAYYYY!"
Mommy's response: "F*%&! I'm so over this s%&$!"

Anyway...my initial plan was to sport my twists for 2 weeks, but I'm relatively new to dry/slightly damp twisting. I know that wet twisting makes my hair last longer, while dry twisting makes my hair look longer (or closer to it's actual length).

Well, I had a mishap over the weekend. I either used too much HE Hello Hydration or I shouldn't have used it at all as a leave-in. My hair has been flaking ever since. It looks like dandruff. Under some lighting, I can't see it...but I know that it's there. So, I just refused to leave the twists in any longer (which sucks) and I'll just have to start over tomorrow night...with a different product. But let's review...



I got fancy and bought some beads from Sally's to dress up the twists on Monday...can't beat $0.99 a pack.



I was on a "pinning frenzy" on Tuesday.



Who da hell knows what happened on Wednesday, but I was/am a wild child on Thursday, b/c I couldn't take the madness anymore.

So, I spent some time in Ulta during lunch, looking for something to put on my twists for shine and hold. I picked up a tube of styling cream (can't remember the name). I read the ingredients and then rubbed some in my palms. It felt like heaven...until I looked at the price. That mess was $30 and I don't even think that it was 5 fl.oz!!! I would rather settle for something that felt like purgatory instead. I promptly put it back on the shelf and wiped off my fingerprints. My relaxers didn't cost more than $8 and my hair didn't suffer. Some of these companies need to stop the madness.

I roamed around for a minute and then picked up Herbal Essence "Tousle Me Softly" Finishing Cream. It wasn't more than $5. I'm hoping that THAT underneath my coconut oil should do my twists some justice. I haven't splurged on a new conditioner in months and am running low on both Hello Hydration (which I'm a little salty with right now) and Yes to Carrots. There was a sale on Bed Head's Moisture Maniac, so I bought a huge bottle for $9.99 (Amazon is selling it for $17.91). I'm crossing my fingers.

I still hadn't bought a deep conditioner but I have S23's and Stacie's recommendations from my last post. Thanks, ladies.

So maybe this "snow" thing is a good deal. If that cancels J's basketball practice on Friday night and his game on Saturday, then I can hole myself up and pamper my angry strands.

Do you have a spending limit on hair supplies?

3 comments:

This One Woman said...

For a while I went crazy ordering all kinds of crap that was expensive and did not work. Now my staples are my Giovanni leave in(that is about 8 bucks at Tarjay. I heard it was cheaper at Mashals though), my shea butter/coconut oil mixture that I made and my vatika oil. I am experimenting with that Shea Butter conditioner but the jury is out. I guess I said all of that to say that yes, I NOW have a spending limit. I am not trying to break the bank for the specialized products anymore. It's trial and error I guess but not with my money!

Anonymous said...

No spending limit. But I've decided I don't need to try anything else. What I'm currently doing is working for me. I'm achieving growth and it looks like I want it to look. The products I use are eitehr from the grocery store or the drug store.

S23

Anonymous said...

I don't have a spending limit but I definitely need to make one, LOL I am a product junkie.

Stacie