age ain't nuthin', but...

...I make 30 look good! Just felt like saying that. But anyway, since I turned 30 y/o, I feel as if it makes a big difference in the "perceived" age gap between me and the women that I love hanging around. Oftentimes, Tee gives me a hard time about stuff that I remember from childhood. Usually, the conversation begins with me saying something about what I used to do when I was young, say 5 years old for example. She'd always laugh and say something like, "guhl, I was rollerskating to Don.na Sum.mer with my hot pants on at THAT time." We always laugh about it, but sometimes she thinks too hard on the age difference. She may be 12 years older than me but we're into the same things, so there's no problem on this end. Hell, we ain't dating, so what of it?

At least, that's what I thought until I went out with these 2 chicks...one 25 and the other 24, I think. Let me tell ya, I FELT that age difference! We went to this sushi restaurant and then hit the club. Now that my JJ's gone, I have all the time in the world to get out there and do me. But anybody that knows ME, knows that ME and crowds are not bedfellows. So by the transitive property of "uncomfortable-ness", me and clubs aren't good matches either. I did that in college and after seeing the same people at the same places, it got old really quickly. But I hung out with these women and had a blast. Well, up until my body clock said that it was past my bedtime. But I tip my rag to these 2 energizer bunnies, b/c I started thinking that the next man that decides to dance up on me was getting decked! If I wanted my thighs rubbed, I was going to do it my-dayum-self!

Today, I wanted to paint some pottery. I knew that if I called the 25 y/o, she would probably appease me with the pottery painting but we'd somehow end up somewhere more crunk until the place closed down. Instead, I called Tray, who's 11 or 12 years older than me as well.

We both had painting projects at home that we were trying to tackle this morning, so we didn't hook up until lunch. We ended up eating at this hole-in-the-wall where I had THE BEST shr.imp fra diav.olo and tiramisu. In fact, I think that there was some liquor in my dessert b/c a sista was feeling rather lovely...and full. That place was one of the 5 recommendations from this intern at work who knows the city's best kept secrets. And you KNOW its secretive when the restaurant's menu is written in black marker on this huge pad near a window. Regardless of how unconventional THAT was to me, those were some good eats and I will go back again soon. Especially when my bank account gets off "holla" status.

We finally made it to the studio a couple of hours later. Tray decided to paint a vase but I wanted a plate to display in my glass-front cabinet. We were sitting there and it was so funny to see her get frustrated over something that was supposed to be so relaxing. I knew what colors I wanted in my plate but I had no idea what kind of design I was going to do. I started sketching some flowers and singing to the music that was being piped in the store. She says, "How in the heck do you know THAT song? That was before your time." I was thinking, "here we go." I just laughed it off and got back in my element. I felt so relaxed that I lost track of time and we ended up closing the place down b/c of me, lol. And you know what, I didn't even finish! But I must say that if I had to choose a place to close down, this would be the one! This is how I do me!

So, I have to go back tomorrow and put the finishing touches to my "busy-looking" plate. And although I loved the company and the convo, tomorrow I plan to enjoy myself...without being reminded of my age just how good I make 30 look.

3 comments:

LadyLee said...

You're such a youngun!! But you're getting old!

Now, you got me wanting to try this pottery thing. My book club sistas have gone to one in our city... and they loved it. I keep missing out. I think I will join them next time.

Serenity3-0 said...

I'm with Leezie. Now I want to do some pottery.. A plate! But I won't right now.. You better enjoy your time OFF from JJ..

Closed Account said...

Ditto on the club scene, well depending on which one you go to IMO. I LOVE some music and likes to dance when I'm feelin right! But aside from that I'd choose an enjoyable hobby over the club myself. I gotta storage ben of a few "unfinished" crafts...lol