the curly girl wonder diaries

So, it's been a little over a month since the big chop.


When I look at pics, I can't see too much of a difference in growth.


BUT...I can't get the hair near my temples and hairline to lay down like I used to. I guess that's a sign that it is growing b/c it keeps curling up on me everytime I try to attack the hairs with a toothbrush (that I use for my edges). I guess that my curls overall are getting bigger too.

Whereas I don't have a desire to relax my hair, I DO have a desire to go get it faded up again. I have to remind myself that I didn't get it cut short for the sake of it being short. I had to go short for the sake of it all being natural.

Anyway, I didn't want to make my whole blog about my hair, but it is a journey for me...much like weight loss, vegetarian conversion, or travel may be for others. So, there may be posts on here from time to time. So...

1st Month Mythbuster:

I thought that if I cut my hair off and went natural, then I wouldn't have to pack as much when I travelled.

Nixed my curling irons, Pro.claim glosser, bandana (to wrap my hair), magnetic roller and hair clips (for my wrap), comb, brush, Iso.plus.

Packed Hell.o Hydration conditioner, V05 Mois.ture Milks conditioner, Giova.nni shampoo, plastic shower caps, satin cap, castor oil, olive oil, rose.mary oil, water bottle, Aubre.y Organ.ics (deep conditioner), toothbrush, Kink.y Curly Cur.ling Cus.tard (scooped a little into my old Iso.plus jar to tame my edges).

And yeah...when I flew down south, we were on ter.rorist level alert orange. I miss the days when my toiletries were in my carry-on. My carry-on only carried my shoes b/c I couldn't fit them in my suitcase with all the terr.orist threats that I was packing.

Comment of the Month:

"Just b/c you're bored doesn't mean you do sh*t to yo' head. Eat cookies and gain weight, but leave yo' head alone." - T Val

My auntie...what can I say? It is what it is.

Still growing,
Curly Girl Wonder aka LB

11 comments:

chele said...

I like the hair updates. I'm on a journey to stay away from heat and grow my hair out. I love the Hello Hydration conditioner and I've recently added castor oil (mixed with EVOO) to my growing list of products.

clnmike said...

Lol, your aunt killed me.

Serenity3-0 said...

Aunt Val is really a character! I wonder if I'll be like that when I'm older. LMAO. Hmm. My month anniversary is next Saturday. I can look at the photos and see growth already. But I tell you I spend way more time in my head now than I ever did when I had a relaxer.

LB said...

@ chele - castor oil has become my new best friend as far as maintaining a nice, healthy-looking shine.

@ clnmike - you can have her for the low, low price of free...just say the word.

@ S30 - here's the thing...I can't tell sometimes b/c one day my hair may shrink up tighter than the last. When I stretch a curl, I'm amazed as to how long it got after 4 months sans relaxer. But I need to get on a routine that minimizes manipulation.

Anonymous said...

I'm only a month into this hair journey, so please don't stop with the updates. I have no clue what to do with it other than keeping it cut and shaped up. I'd love that curly look like you have. It's super cute!

LB said...

@ mrstdj - Thanx!!! I'm still learning how to manage it myself. It's weird having to re-learn how to do my hair at 31.

My product list doesn't suggest this, but I'm the queen of simplicity (and I know you have a lil one to run after), so...I just wash my hair with the VO5 conditioner and then rinse it out, put a little of it in my hands and rub throughout my hair to define the curls (left it in), and then rub some castor oil on top to seal in the moisture and keep it shiny. And THEN I commence to shaping my edges with my designated toothbrush.

♥ CG ♥ said...

Whew, girl, I hear ya! I use three times as many products than I ever did with a relaxed hair, but I'm loving it. I've started mixing oils...more money but I think it's the only way I can keep these 4A-4C tresses moisturized.

Hmmm...making a mental note to use the toothbrush method for the strays. Have a great weekend!

LB said...

@ CurvyGurl - yes, it seems as if I've become my own chemist. I have a spray bottle with olive oil, castor oil, safflower oil, vitamin e oil, and rosemary oil mixed with some water...so I feel ya. Have a great weekend as well!

Anonymous said...

lol @ myth buster

Your hair is growing out cute :)

i love hello hydration and cant live without my coconut oil!!

LB said...

@ stillpatrice - thanx! I may have to try coconut oil...I keep hearing good things about it.

Pam said...

Coconut and castor oil are great for growth. I've used it on both my daughter's and my hair for many years. (They sell organic coconut oil in the grocery store here)

Glad you are enjoying your journey.