to speak or not to speak

Maybe I wasn't inebriated enough and that's why I was easily annoyed. Or maybe b/c I haven't been myself lately, as told to me by 2 different people, but I just have little tolerance for dumb stuff. Tonight, a small group of us celebrated Tee's bday. And as swigs increased, so did the gripes and complaints about certain coworkers. So ok, I can understand that (at some point) someone might've pi$$ed you off and you decided that (besides the common cordialities ?), you weren't going to fool with that person anymore. That's reasonable. But I was sitting there while listening to 2 of my close friends say that they disliked people just b/c said people don't speak to them in the hallway. I don't even know what I was sipping on, but I wished that I had taken a huge gulp just to say, "Who the f*** cares???" Are you kidding? Especially when I know that the one who started the conversation has the propensity to mean mug some folk, so what exactly does a person owe her? I kept interjecting to say that the people that they were bashing were actually nice, but that fell on deaf ears and drunk mouths. And once the cosigning started, I could forget about sharing my opinion anyway and just decided to chill and eventually make my exit from all the negativity.

I can agree that its disrespectful if I initiate the greeting (and I doubt that they do), but I got too many other reasons to want to pi$$ in someone's coffee. So I guess one of my pet peeves is when people get angry over little things. Man up and move on.

What's yours?

6 comments:

Serenity3-0 said...

My pet peeve is when I'm trying to work and folks keep coming to my desk to talk. Leave me the hell alone and let me do my work. If you catch me on the way to buy a coke or snack or somethingn, then talk, but other than that stay away from my damn desk..

LB said...

I was about to suggest headphones, but I guess that you can't wear them while processing claims. But who am I kidding...I can be headbanging and mouthing Tupac to my music and people will still sit their coffee cups down on my desk to tell me a story.

Anonymous said...

My pet peeve is when folx call for information and when I start to give it to them they gotta put ME on hold to get a pen and paper. Didn't you know you'd need that before you picked up the phone?

chele said...

I always wondered about the "not speaking" thing. Seriously, who cares??? My pet peeve is people who don't return phonecalls/emails in a timely manner. I try to respond to people immediately even if I don't have the answer I get back in touch to let them know that I'm researching the answer and will get back to them. To me, that's just common courtesy.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

mine is listenting to people talk about stuff they dont know or have never read anything about, like complaining about bail out bills but aint never read them

clnmike said...

Mine is people that feel the need to talk about BS just so they can be heard.