flirting

So...I was on the phone with one of my besties the other night and we started talking about this guy that I used to be CRAZY about in high school. He lived one subdivision over from mine...making it easy for him to ride his bike to my house when my mom wasn't home. We didn't have sex but up until that time in high school, he had seen parts of me that no other guy had seen. We went to prom together, but were never officially a couple...he was pretty popular with a few ladies. We had an interesting relationship...yep, that sums it up.

Well, I hadn't spoken to him in over 10 years. All of a sudden, he resurfaces via FB. So, I was able to see that he was married, pretty successful, and looked EXACTLY the same. After we became FB friends, he wrote what seemed to be a 4-page email. Now, my memory is not very good. I have to be reminded of some things, so when he went on and on about how hurt he was when I severed our friendship and how much he valued me, I was confused for a good minute. By the time I got to paragraph 4, I was able to recall what happened.

My mom passed away while I was in college and during that time, my emotions were haywire and I started severing ties with people that I didn't feel were true friends. Now, I remember telling him that he wasn't worth my time but I don't remember why I said it. Oh well. It's not as if he fought for me or anything so 10 years can easily go by without speaking.

So, THAT'S the part of the email that I concentrated on at that time. The rest of it was just a backdrop...until I talked to my bestie. I mentioned something about his always saying something to me behind the scenes. If I update my status and he thinks it's funny, he'll email me instead of commenting. If I post a pic, he'll email me his opinion instead of commenting. I said something about his not wanting to be tracked and started talking about that 4-page email he sent. I focused on one thing; however, she picked up on another. I had to go back and read word for word exactly how he phrased a portion of the email.

He said:

"...you had a birthday party in June and you and I wrestled intimately on the couch a few hours before the other guests arrived. Now, I may be completely wrong. I may've even fantasized about the experience, but that thought made me smile."

So, when I first read the email, I didn't even blink at that statement. But when I read it to my bestie...my married bestie...my married bestie who seems to be the spokeperson for all the wives of the world...well, she became enraged. She probably got more pissed b/c I was laughing...at her. She said that it was totally inappropriate. OK, I won't disagree. I imagine that if I were going through my man's inbox (as I have done before) and come across something similar (as I have done before) then there would be some smoke in the city (as has gone down before). I guess that I didn't get weirded out by it, b/c I was too busy trying to digest everything else and wondering why what I said bothered him enough to speak on it...10 years later.

With a new set of eyes, I re-read the whole email and yeah, he said a few things that made me wonder what his motives were. A few emails later, he gave me his number and asked me to call him but I never did. I mean, "what I look like???" But anyway, even if he weren't married, we still live no where near each other so, to me, it was all harmless.

But was it?

So here are my questions...

If you're dating, in a relationship, or married to someone...do you expect them to never flirt with another member of the opposite sex?

Is that a realistic expectation?

And if it isn't, where do you draw the line?

Is "flirting" healthy?

7 comments:

chele said...

If I'm in a serious relationship, I expect him to never flirt with a member of the opposite sex.

Period.

I don't believe in "harmless" flirting. I've tried it ... it doesn't work. Someone (usually the guy) always thinks there's more to it.

ali said...

Geez, I wish I could say that I never expect my mate to flirt again. One little problem...I am a big flirt, I mean half the time, I don't even know I'm doing it..it's that's darn southern charm I have. And growing up in a household with nothing but males..well, it's what I do.
No numbers are exchanged or anything but, I tend to be a bit flirtatious. (sp?)
My husband doesn't pay it a bit of mind. He's a secure man, he knows where I sleep every night and I'm too darned tired to do much else..lol

Serenity3-0 said...

I don't expect my man to be flirting with other people in person, email, nowhere. I would like for him to respect me the same that I'd respect him. Think back to my housewarming.. Flirting can get your head busted if I have enough glasses of wine:)

LB said...

Interesting. Thanks for the responses, ladies.

So, I got one that admits to being a flirt and two that say he "'bet not never!" @ S23, why did you have to bring THAT up???

Most of the time, when someone is flirting with me, I think that they're more about testing their boundaries and trying to get a reaction out of me...and it's not necessarily about genuine interest.

I don't know. Reggardless of the motive, I am recognizing that I still lack trust in men...and I don't trust a man NOT to do it.

Do you have a convo about your expectations (as far as flirting is concerned) with your mates? Or is it all categorized under disrespect?

ali said...

My husband and I don't have any conversations about it. My husband is a motor mouth and a huggybear(will hug anyone) and I don't pay it a bit of mind. He's come home with lipstick on his cheek, now some women would be all up and arms about that. Me, I'm thinking...he ran into someone he knows. Everyone kisses here as a greeting.
He knows how I am..I'll tell a man he's handsome, has a pretty smile, pretty eyes whatever in a second. To some that's flirting but, I'll tell a woman the same thing.
I am almost 50 years old, I know where my relationship is and just don't have time to invent drama where none exists. Worrying about what someone's intentions "could be" is added drama. If you have to wonder or worry...he ain't for you.
Ya know it's funny because when I was young like ya'll, I used to hear women the age I am now say the same thing I am saying now.
I would be "oh, no he better not!" and they told me...wait until you are older, you will see. When you are in the right relationship, you can relax and just let one another be who that person is.
They won that bet.
My husband knows that I am a faithful old hound dog and I know he's one. I wish I'd have met him much sooner.

chele said...

You mention testing boundaries and getting a reaction from you. If the reaction is a positive one, don't you think the dude is going to try and go a little further? That's why (for me) it's not harmless.

We have had conversations (actually arguments) about flirting cause when I've seen him do it, I call him out immediately ... in public and not discreetly. Don't play with me.

kisz4tj said...

Flirting is a no. Mr. K and I are not even a couple but I was on the phone with him yesterday when he said "Oh my co-worker just gave me xyz" She says.."your beautiful co-worker" He chuckled and then like a retard said "right..right...my beautiful co-worker" I went MONKEY CRAZY on him! Don't get hurt..is all Imma say.