simply giddy

...and I have every reason to be! "I'm poor, black, and may even be ugly, but dear God, I'm HERE!" -celie

OK, 2 of those descriptions don't apply to me and its pretty clear that I'm black, but there was so much spirit behind that quote in the movie that I just had to throw my fists in the air and use it b/c I'M HERE!

*******************************

So, on Monday I got pulled over by a cop with a speech impediment. "D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-Do you know wh-wh-wh-wh-wh-wh **pause, takes breath** why I p-p-p-p-pulled..." Ok, I'm not trying to be funny, but that was the LONGEST traffic stop of my daggone LIFE! But he earned his badge and caught me b/c my tags were expired. Had he not pulled up (ahead of me, mind you) to the stoplight, in the lane adjacent to me, and heard that I was bumping my music rather loud (b/c my song JUST came on and my kid wasn't in the car), he wouldn't have even broke his neck trying to spot who was in the car through his rear view mirror.

Now, I'm not gonna say that I was racially profiled (b/c my tags WERE expired....although I have had a cop to ride behind me for more than a mile and not be able to see that or care). I will accept responsibilty b/c it slipped my mind and I should've gotten them renewed on time. It was just funny, how he slowed up just enough to get behind me and then rode my ass while he was pulling up all my info, including my uncle Vernon's middle name, for a good minute until he found SOMETHIN', ANYTHING and then he pulled me over.

When he started talking, I have to say that I wanted to grab the clipboard and write the damn ticket myself.

Anyway, went to the DMV on Tuesday and then to the courthouse today, showed my new registration, and told the clerk to drop the case like it's hawwwttttt!!! Got a "Com.plied with Law" stamp and was singing on my way. "Spin around ma'...drop, drop, like's it's hawwwttt...."

And the moral of the story is...don't be ig'nant with your music while breaking the law and black. Got it??? LOL!

*******************************

Why is Face.book SO SERIOUS?! So I was being sex.ually harrassed by this guy at work, who's supposed to be my "mentor". Hmmmm, I typed that kinda matter-of-factly but it was really happening and I guess that I might not have written anything about it on here. I went to ask him something once and he said "come sit on my lap" and he has blown a kiss at me in a meeting (in front of my now supervisor)...just grossly disrespectful. I've discussed this behavior with my supervisor and well...that's a whole 'nother blog that I may never write but this dude is sweating me over being my Face.book friend. I've already ignored his friend request, blocked him from being able to search me, and dismissed it when he first mentioned it. Now, a month later he's still saying it all sleazy, "I want to be your Face.book frieeeennd." I'm one of 3 female en.gineers there and the only black one...if I could get away with stomping him in his nuts, it would be a good day. But, that's the only thing that he says to me now (aside from ACTUALLY mentoring me), so I guess that there may have been some sort of "slap on the hand."

*******************************



My baby's Opening Day for Little League was this past weekend...that includes the parades, fire trucks, moonbounces, team pictures, etc. It was a gorgeous day and it was pretty cool to see all of those kids excited about being celebrated by their families. I always wonder if J wishes that he had more than just me there...I mean, we're on year 3 of this and it has just been slightly-overzealous me. I take as many pictures as my battery will allow and email them to my dad, but I know that it's not the same. I hope that he remembers how many times I've lost my cell phone in the bleachers while jumping up and down and cheering for him.

6 comments:

Pam said...

"Come sit on my lap"? No Ma'am!!! Sorry to hear that you have been dealing with this. Have you talked to HR about the situation?

Re Color Purple: I love the song "I'm Here" that Celie sings in the play.

kisz4tj said...

Your firm isn't taking sexual harassment seriously?? You should never have to worry about another lay-off.

He looks adorable in his uniform.

Bananas said...

Okay, how bad do I have it. I saw the picture of "J" and the first thing I thought was, "Get your hands off your knees, that's not a fielding position - hands out in front!"

I spend waaaay too much time with kids on baseball fields.

LB said...

@ Pam - that's another blog.

@ kisz4tj - tell that to my girl that they laid off and the dude that (did it) and was kept.

@ Terry - you do!

chele said...

Yeah ... stomp the guy in his nuts.

ali said...

Ok, I would have gone to jail for "something" I'm sure because, as soon as he would have started to speak, my crazy butt would have been laughing all over my car!

My boy looks so cute in his uniform!

What the heck is going on with the sexual harassment thing? Document errything, get a tape recorder if you have to.