the adventures of the emotional decorator

Anyone that knows me also knows that I could probably do without cable, but I CANNOT (ABSOLUTELY CANNOT) deal without HGTV. I do not have a TV in my bedroom, so HGTV is how I get caught up on the couch downstairs. I'm inspired every week and come up with a new project for my home. This means that I frequent Home De.pot about as much as one would frequent the club or how a kid salivates over Toys 'R Us. I have a looooonnnng list of projects that I wish to tackle but it may take 2-3 years before I get my house exactly the way that I want it.

In keeping with Friendship February, I hung out with my best work gal pal, Goth Girl, today. I saw pictures of her apartment in the Fan and was dying to see all of the architectural details in person. I like my house, but I live in the country....or maybe on the edge of the country. Ya know, a lot of trees, no street lights, hills and valleys, etc...the city things that I sacrifice for a good school district. I think that my country cottage has good bones to work with...all it needs is a little color here and there, but outside little cute stuff that I want to do, there's not much that I HAVE to do. But I walked up in Goth Girl's apartment and I was in awe. I heart older homes. I was in love with her exposed brick walls, high ceilings and hardwood floors. The details around the door trim made me jealous. And her and her hubby took chances with color...I think that my eyes danced around the wrought iron accents against her orange sherbet kitchen walls. I really liked her modern, gray spare bedroom that also housed her DJ tables. I mean, the place had character. I love walking into a home and seeing something uncommon. I was a kid in the candy store. I was inspired.

The original plan was to hit up the children's museum, but I wanted a quick tour of downtown to take in more of the city's architecture. Afterall, architectural studies was one of my minors and the love is still strong. We ended up having some Thai in this funky (in a good way) place in Ca.rytown and then walked across the street for some homemade ice cream. We FINALLY made it to the children's museum so that J could run around like he's never seen kids before. It was a nice, happy day...something that I needed after wanting to hop on one of my coworker's back on Thursday. When I had that vision, I was reminded of how my dad lost a good job by choking his supervisor after the man said something that he didn't too much like. So, I decided that I should take Friday off after waking up with a migraine...perhaps Sr. LB's hot blood was causing a blockage in my brain, lol.

But again, today was a good day. After singing a couple of tunes from "The Sound of Mu.sic" (don't ask why I know them) into this little echo thingy, I was read' to go!

Where did I head to next?

Home De.pot, lol.

I AM THE EMOTIONAL DECORATOR.

I picked up some "Squash" Be.hr paint for my kitchen. I HATE PAINTING MY KITCHEN. I have done it about 2 times since I moved in. I tried to do a faux finish which was good, but after 3 days, I couldn't take the colors. Then, I painted over it with some Mocha color which was the base paint for the colorwashing technique that I was trying. After painting my red wall, I 've been so bored with my kitchen and wanted a change. Hopefully, this "Squash" color is where it's at. It's such a shame b/c the "paint girl" totally knows me and J by now. And I always meet 50-60 y/o women that like to trade decorating war stories. But today, I met a man...

...an old a$$ man that could've pimped with my daddy.

I've heard tales of women getting picked up in Home De.pot, but I live in a family-oriented, older, predominantly yt neighborhood...never happens to me. I saw this man on one aisle but kept it rolling, b/c when I see gray hair, there's really not much else to say. I picked up some floor heaters and then I saw this dude approaching me...I was wishing that I carried mace. He asked me where I got my floor heaters from. I pointed and kept it moving. I've been wanting a bistro set for my porch, so I was hoping to catch something cute and on sale. He walked up on me AGAIN...with no floor heaters in hand. He asked me if I knew such things would work for big rooms. Hell, I JUST put these things in my buggy so I knew about as much as he did, but then I found it strange that he would walk across the store to ask me that. Yep, I am a little slow. Getting approached is not even blogworthy to me, but when he said...

"Hey, I wish that you could call me and let me know if those things work. I mean, I don't want to spend $9 outright. Do you think that you can call me?"

...I mean, that should win the lame-a$$ line award. If 9 bux is gon' set you back THAT much to where you need MY consumer report, then you really need not talk to me.

And THIS is what I attract nowadays.

Yep, I will be painting the HELL outta my kitchen tonight. Pics coming soon.

1 comments:

Serenity3-0 said...

Sounds like a fun day. I want to see the photos too. I thought about you today. I was flipping through the tv and they were broadcasting from N.O. They were in K-Paul's Restaurant teaching folks how to boil crawfish and then peel and eat them. I wanted to cry. Man, I could taste them.