the flu vs. neighborhood kids

So, I spent the weekend recovering from what my PCP diagnosed as H1N1. I started feeling the onset of some cold symptoms last Tuesday. I tried Zi.cam, Emergen-C, Tylen.ol, etc. However, by Wednesday it was a code 10, woman down. I fought my way through the workday and even went to work on Thursday thinking that the meds just needed more time to work. Well...by lunchtime, my body was hurting so bad that I couldn't bare to sit in an upright position. I went home, self-medicated, and laid it down.

When I went to the doctor on Friday, he told me that unless I had any other issues like diabetes or pregnancy that he couldn't treat me b/c the CDC recommended against it. So I asked, "Since you can't treat me, then that must mean that it's ok for me to go back to work." I got the hard stare, but I was pissed. Thank God, I had an ear infection b/c otherwise my copay would've only been to receive his deepest sympathy. He prescribed amoxycillin for my ear infection and sent me on my way.

Now, I understand why he'd rather not treat me but it's hard to take in when I have to sleep sitting up b/c I couldn't breathe while lying down. And it's hard to take in when I'm trying to stay away from my child, who doesn't understand the concept of personal space when speaking to me and who loves to eat food and drink after me. I was mostly upset b/c I didn't want to take the time off from work, damn whoever I could've possibly been infecting.

But indeed, I needed that day and this weekend to recuperate. My weekend plans got thrown out of the window but some things will just have to be rescheduled and the other commitments...well, people just had to understand.

Aside from sounding like a muppet, I feel much better. My patience has taken a dive though. While resting on Friday, my doorbell rang. I could hear the gang of children outside, recently released from school. J caught the bus to the afterschool care, b/c I was trying to get in as much resting time as possible. I ignored the bell and turned over. They rang it again and then I hear, "I know they're home b/c the car is here and there's a light on. They're just not answering the door." Then, one of those rascals, who I've dubbed Denn.is the Men.ace, twisted my doorknob, as if he were about to investigate the situation. And that's when I lost it.

I'm not even sure if my feet even touched the steps as I flew down there and swung the door open. I glared at all 5-6 of them. The kid standing on my porch might've almost pissed himself. I say (very annoyed), "J is NOT here. He will NOT be here until after 5:30. And whoever touched my doorknob, DO NOT do it again." SLAM! I'm sure that I am campaigning to be the meanest mommy on the block. It seems that my kid is the only one that does homework, has chores and other activities, and has to be home before dark.

Yesterday was quiet b/c it rained all day.

Today, however, here comes Den.nis the Men.ace. I told J that he had some things to do before he was allowed to go outside and play.

J: I'll be down there later.
Dennis: Well, what time?
J: I don't know...just later.
Dennis: Well, I need to know...do you think around 1 or 2...
Me (shouting from upstairs): Uh, J will get there WHEN he gets there. And if he misses you, then OH WELL!

Screw that...the only person that J has to answer to is ME! I do not care for this kid. And then J is too nice and takes too long to shut some foolishness down. I'm trying not to be THAT momma, but it's getting kinda hard. Especially, when all of my energy should be focused on feeling better. Really...I am as nice and sweet as they come but my patience is thinning by the year. I know that this is something that I need to work on b/c I don't really want to be labeled the angry or mean woman.

Anyway, looking forward to a productive week and uh....HOW 'BOUT DEM SAINTS?!!!

WHO DAT!!!

1 comments:

clnmike said...

Glad your feeling better, it's best to catch this thing and let your body fight it off, that shot was giving more problems than what it's worth.