new business

MONDAY, August 24th

Scene: Conference Room at local engineering firm. I'm sitting at a long table, across from 2 company supervisors, doing what I termed a "practice" interview. (I was already told that the firm was in a holding pattern; plus, I already planned to do the contract job in DC until December.)

Mr. Rob: If you don't hear from me by the end of the week, then give me a call next week. I should be able to tell you where the company stands, but DO know that we still are in a holding pattern.

Having heard this before, I was unphased. Plus, I didn't really care.

TUESDAY, August 25th

Scene: Mr. Rob leaves a message on both my home and cell phones. I assume that he's contacting me b/c I left something out from that load of paperwork that they threw at me during my "practice" interview. I return his call.

Me: Hi, Mr. Rob...I'm returning your call.
Mr. Rob: Yes, what a difference 24 hours make. Actually, less than 24 hours. So, we briefly discussed salary yesterday, but I'd like to make you an offer with a base salary of _________. Of course that doesn't include overtime, bonuses, and other benefits. How does that sound?
Me: **stunned** Uh...yes, that sounds fine.
Mr. Rob: Here's the catch...can you start tomorrow? There's a software training that I'd like you to attend.
Me: Tomorrow??? Uh...

WEDNESDAY, August 26th

HR Rep, Dee: Congratulations and welcome to Engineering Firm A.

THURSDAY, August 27th

Software Trainer, Neal: So, you've been here 2 days and had a lot of information thrown at you. How do you feel?


My heart is still in N.ew Or.leans, but I decided to hang out on the east coast a little longer than planned. As for the contract job in DC, it was agreed that I could possibly do that on the side for some extra cash. Possibly. The owner and I will keep in touch and may still try to iron out a deal that gets me back home one day, running the show. In the meantime, I'm getting my baby back and we're gonna turn this house back into a home.

7 comments:

patrice said...

Congratulations!!

kisz4tj said...

WOW! We certainly can NOT predict how things will turn out. I'm happy for you because I know this is the path that you're supposed to take for whatever the reason.

chele said...

I got chills reading that. I am so happy for you!

Serenity3-0 said...

I like that last sentence! So now you can get Tyler for the breaks! LMAO

Pam said...

Congrats!!

SHA said...

Girl, bye! That was a lot. Im glad they called and this just worked out in your favoe....your poor booboo with his flu. I hope he's better soon and you can get him back where he s'posed to be.

I'd love to blog. So much to say, but whenever I sit down to type it...OMG. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you girlie! Go get that little boy! =)