still standing

I remember when 2009 began, I hoped that the year would go by quickly. I had it in my mind that although the recession would be for a lengthy period of time, that 2009 would bear the brunt of it. It seems like January 1st was just yesterday, but here we are in June. So, I guess it has gone by quickly, but last week was rough (excluding my interview).

I've been going through some financial madness! No, I'm not in trouble. It just seems that everyone has their hand out NOW. I had to kick this plumber out of my house last Friday, proceed to go off on their office manager and then promptly hang up the phone after shouting, "I'm not signing anything and I'm not paying a damn thing!" Yep, it was THAT serious. This was the third time that these people have been out to the house.

I don't even want to get into all of what happened, but all I know is...I'm my momma's child with my daddy's temper. I abhor conflict. I don't like arguing with people. And being mean (and angry) just consumes so much energy. But damn if I'm gonna allow someone to get over on me. I was still mad at myself for losing my cool...do know that it takes A LOT! But playing with my money is like playing with my emotions.

That was only one example of the foolishness that was last week. My God, I hope that I'm not going through all of this for nothing.

Anyway, this whole layoff thing has altered many of my plans and financial goals. I have been researching brokerage firms in order for me to rollover my 401K to an IRA. While in the mood to examine my financial house (to make sure that it was in order), I searched my file cabinet for the small slip of paper, on which I outlined my assets and liabilities on January 1st. It was imperative that I see where I stand in comparison, 6 months down the line.

Assets
Mutual Fund (for whatever) - 22% increase
Mutual Fund (Jalen's education) - 12% increase
401K - 49% increase
Savings - 72% increase (after removing a chunk to cover bills in the meantime)
House - 4% decrease in value (this is what gives me heartburn)

Liabilities
Student Loan 1 - 10% decrease (kinda sad that it wasn't more)
Student Loan 2 - 25% decrease (I wanted to pay off this one by year end)
Credit card debt - 13% increase (NOT HAPPY, although it is relatively small debt)

Overall, my Assets decreased by 8%, with a cash asset increase of 36%. My liabilities only decreased by 9%.

I know that I could be in much worse standing. I could not have savings at all, but it doesn't really make me feel better about my situation. I was supposed to go to Chicago in July and now that's pretty much out of the question...and so is my goal to see "The Col.or Pur.ple" at the Kenned.y Ce.nter that month too. I'm not too bothered by putting off those plans.

I just want to live life again.

Right now, my son is my only source of happiness. He has been so helpful. He keeps offering up his birthday/Chr.istmas money b/c he says, "I don't want you to have to use your money." He says that he's not worried about anything and I explained to him that that's HIS money and "my" so-called money is our money. His only request is that we not move b/c he likes our house.

I dunno...where is the fast-forward button when you need it?

5 comments:

Serenity3-0 said...

Uh oh. He doesnt' want to move... When Tyler heard me talking about moving to dallas, he was like "I dont' want to move again." Made me raise an eyebrow.

chele said...

I know what you mean. I've begged for the FF button ... unfortunately we just have to sit and endure.

kisz4tj said...

It's good that you took stock...lots of people would rather run and hide than evaluate. Your son is sweet..I like his style ;-)

Each day you're closer to something better, tho I wish a fast forward button did exist sometimes.

Ariesramgirl said...

Why am I always looking for the rewind button?

evaluation is good for the soul...and the pocketbook!

clnmike said...

Sorry things are so stressful.