value

I feel as if I don't know wassup with anybody anymore. I am already unable to blog at work and haven't even kept up with my email partnahs consistently in months, so I'm out of every loop formed in 2009. My g/f from back home, K-Rizzy spent Mar.di Gras week (bringing some king cake with her) in VA with me. And although I don't think that I get too scandalous on here or spend a lot of time talking about the goings-on of other people, I didn't want my blog to be discovered while she used my computer for a whole week. So, I avoided blogger's presence in my internet history and goo.gle (although I remained logged on as invisible on Ya.hoo Messenger which has my list of friends entitled "bloggers", so this may have tipped my hand a little).

I felt so bad b/c I had too many deadlines and couldn't take off until Friday afternoon to spend more time with her, but she acted as if she didn't mind. Every other day, J and I didn't arrive home until it was dark and even then, I had to balance girl talk and 2nd grade homework. And as usual, J likes to steal my friends when they come to visit by flashing a dimple and asking if they would play some game with him. Within 2 seconds, I was left alone to my HGTV and then the back of my eyelids b/c my anemia is kicking up and I am horrible with my iron pills.

I enjoyed her company so much, b/c that's my family. When K-Rizzy noticed that J kept asking me what certain words meant, she got on my computer while I was at work and rushed a package of books to my house, including a huge children's dictionary (which he loves). She also left gift cards to Ho.me De.pot and Star.bucks (b/c I mentioned them in conversation) on my nightstand as hospitality gifts.

As I was driving away from the airport parking lot yesterday, I turned to J and said, "If you manage to have at least 5 friends like Ms. K-Rizzy is to me when you're my age, you'll be one rich man." He just nodded and said "ok", but one day he will truly get what I mean. At my age, I've already had my fair share of superficial friendships, frenemies, associates, and empty, evil people that secretly desire my misery or failure. Finding supportive, uplifting, genuine friends that actually want you to thrive and succeed is damn near impossible nowadays. From high school buddy to college roomie, K-Rizzy has celebrated my accomplishments, accepted (and sometimes laughed off) my quirks, comforted me after my mom's death, and took care of me after my son's birth. When I take inventory of my friendships, I am reminded that I'm either doing something right to deserve this or that God truly loves me.

4 comments:

Closed Account said...

Amen sista! GOOD friends are hard to find these days. I've known my best friend since elementary and even though we dont talk as often since I moved here, when we do catch up its like old times. She's like the sister I wished I had sometimes....

Anonymous said...

All of the above...gooood friends are really hard to come by. I missed your absence!

Anonymous said...

True friends God's gift to us...I hope you enjoyed your king cake. Who got the baby?

LB said...

@ Ali - She did! So she's on tap to bring another one next year.